Norwich Public Utilities (NPU)

A municipally owned utility serving Norwich, CT with
natural gas, electricity, water and sewer services.

Home For My Home Policies


Developer's Agreement/Construction Standards

All new development needs to be performed in accordance with the NPU Construction Standards and Developer’s Utility Permit Agreement.
In the planning phase, and prior to installing any utility infrastructure, the developer must contact a NPU Project Coordinator at 860- 823-4149 and sign a Developer’s Utility Permit Agreement which contains detailed construction requirements.

  Developer's Utility Permit Agreement


Commercial Deposit Guidelines

A Commercial Account is defined as any property used for business purposes including residential rental properties, multi-family and non-owner occupied single family dwellings.

By following these commercial account security deposit guidelines, Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) will continue to provide competitive utility rates by protecting all customers from absorbing the debt created by delinquent commercial accounts. The following security deposit guidelines will be applied to all new commercial customers seeking gas, electric, and water and/or sewer services from NPU.


Sewer Capital Connection Fee

The Sewer Authority of the City of Norwich (i.e., the Water Pollution Control Authority -WPCA) has adopted a "Sewer Capital Connection Fee." The Sewer Authority will assess the Sewer Capital Connection Fee charges for the establishment of new connections and the increase of existing waste water discharge to the sewer system.

icon-9Download Sewer Capital Connection Fee Information

Contractor Blasting Policy

Whenever a contractor is blasting within 200 feet of a buried NPU facility (pipes, wires, manholes, etc), the contractor needs to contact a Project Coordinator (860) 823-4149 and follow the NPU blasting procedure.  This is in addition to contacting Call Before You Dig (CBYD) and the local Fire Marshal.

The contractor must provide NPU with a sketch showing the location of the blasting in conjunction with the NPU facilities.  They must also fill out the blasting investigation report, and complete the appropriate charge distance limits in blasting near buried pipelines. NPU will then review the documentation, and provide written authorization to the blaster to proceed.  NPU requires this information a minimum of two (2) business days  in advance of blasting.

NPU will perform a leak check of our buried mains before and after the blasting to insure system integrity and public safety.


  Blasting Investigation Report

Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG)

Fats, oils and grease (FOG) dumped down a drain cause considerable damage to the city’s sewer collection system, as well as your own system, and result in operational problems and added costs for the wastewater treatment facility.  The State of Connecticut has established a General Permit for food preparation establishments (FPEs) to meet compliance requirements for the discharge of fats, oils, and grease.



Electric, Sewer, Water: 860-887-2555
Natural Gas: 860-887-7207
Report Utility Issue

Call Before You Dig

This service is free, it’s easy to use, and it’s the LAW!
CALL 8-1-1 Learn More

Community Matters

To view the latest Community Matters newsletter,
Document icon click here.