Efficiency Programs & Rebates
- Cool Choice Program (Central Air Systems)
- About CFLs
- Natural Gas Equipment Rebate
- Green Energy Program
- Solar Installation Information
Recognizing energy efficiency as a solution to rising energy costs, Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) has a comprehensive conservation program. Energy efficiency affects the entire Norwich community — from individuals to families to businesses.
NPU provides its residential and business customers with energy saving tips, programs and rebates.
Check out this video for 10 Tips on Saving Energy.
To learn more about energy efficiency, contact NPU at:
- Call 860-823-4514
Residential Efficiency Programs:
Participate in a FREE Residential Home Energy Savings Program
We want to help you save money and conserve energy by making your home more energy efficient – and it's free! Enjoy the benefits of saving energy all year long -- save on heating costs in the winter and cooling costs in the summer!
NPU has contracted with Lantern Energy to perform this free service. In one easy visit, Lantern's certified technicians will:
- Conduct an overall health and safety check of your house, including a Combustion Appliance Zone test and CO test
- Perform a blower door test to find and correct air leakage around your house
- Perform a duct blast test to find and correct air leakage in ductwork
- Upgrade your lighting from incandescent bulbs to CFL bulbs. This also includes the installation of 4 courtesy LEDs
- Install water and water heating energy-saving measures including low-flow shower heads, faucet aerators, and pipe insulation
- Make suggestions for additional measures and steps to improve energy efficiency
- Provide special rebate offers for replacing inefficient home appliances and installing additional attic insulation (as applicable)
All at no cost to you!
Here's how you can request a FREE Home Energy analysis:
- Visit Lantern Energy's website for more details and to complete an online request form.
- Call the Lantern Energy scheduler at 1-877-878-3006
TIPS: For more information on ways to save energy in your home, click on the following links:
ENERGY STAR is a government-backed program helping businesses and individuals protect the environment through superior energy efficiency.
Electric Rebate Program:
Mail-in Rebate for ENERGY STAR®-Qualified Appliances
NPU electric customers can get $60 back from NPU on the purchase of these ENERGY STAR-qualified appliances:
- Electric Water Heaters
- Window Air Conditioners
Limit one rebate per appliance per residential electric utility account (maximum three air conditioners). Note: Energy Star criteria is subject to change. Appliances must meet the current Energy Star criteria at time of rebate submission in order to qualify for rebate.
NPU offers up to a $500 rebate for the purchase of Energy Star-qualifying storage tank and heat pump water heaters. Additional information is located on the rebate form
To receive your rebate:
- Download the correct rebate form:
- Fill out the form completely.
- Enclose a copy of your dated sales receipt showing make and model of the appliance, a copy of the yellow "energy guide" label, and a copy of your most recent electric bill.
- Mail these items to the address on the rebate form.
Please: DO NOT include the rebate coupon with your utility bill payment.
Incomplete information may delay or disqualify your rebate. Please allow 30 days for processing of rebate.
NPU reserves the right to provide the rebate in the form of a credit on your electric account.
Installing a new high efficiency central air system, or replacing an old unit? Take advantage of NPU's Cool Choice Rebate Program!
Want the facts concerning compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) or how to properly dispose of broken bulbs? Visit www.epa.gov/mercury for information provided by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on mercury contained in CFLs.
CFLs can now be disposed of at the NPU Customer Service Center, located at 173 North Main Street, Norwich and is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. CFL disposal bins are also located at the Norwich Senior Center, located on Mahan Drive, and Norwich City Hall, Otis Library and the Norwich Public Works facility, located on Clinton Avenue. NOTE: These locations accept CFLs only. Linear fluorescent (the long tube style) bulbs must be brought to the Norwich Transfer Station.
The Norwich Transfer Station, located on Rogers Road, accepts CFLs at no charge. For Transfer Station hours, please visit the City of Norwich's website at www.norwichct.org.
NPU offers rebates for customers to upgrade their natural gas heating systems (including water heaters) to high efficiency equipment.
NPU reserves the right to provide the rebate in the form of a credit on your natural gas account.
Don't have natural gas at your home? Contact Katie at 860-823-4514 to learn if natural gas is available in your area. Natural gas is a clean, versatile and always available home heating source.
NPU provides "Green Energy" at a nominal cost to interested customers. Click on the form below for more information.
Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) has a long-standing commitment to renewable energy, with approximately 20% of the electricity delivered to our customers coming from our hydro-power facilities and solar gardens. NPU has also installed a number of solar power systems on city-owned properties which allows the City of Norwich to save money on their energy costs while providing educational opportunities for students in the community.
While NPU does not offer rebates for residential or commercial solar projects, we do support the installation of private solar energy systems. All systems require an interconnection agreement with NPU prior to installation in order for them to be tied into our distribution system. For more information download this brochure: